Click here to see my other versions of this logo!
Ever since I saw the syllabus for this class, I have been really excited about the logo project. Throughout my design classes in high school, logo projects have been my favorite just because you have so much control over the whole brand of the company as the designer. So much of the company’s image is encompassed in their logo–the public’s first impressions, the company’s values, etc.–that logo designers must take a great deal of care to cleverly and efficiently convey as much as possible in the space of such a small, yet powerful piece of design. With my logo, I wanted to make sure I thought of a company whose purpose and overall feel could be cleverly portrayed through its logo. I went through several different ideas, but with each I wanted to make sure I had two clear images, like Cloudland or Brainpain, so that the image could easily be read as a clever mesh of two things. I landed on Monkey Puzzle Publishing Co. because I had recently gone to the Lotus Festival, and a few years ago I was able to see a reunion show of the band Monkey Puzzle at Lotus–a name that has two clear images and that I almost immediately had an idea of an image for.
The final design is relatively close to my initial sketches–the image of an intertwining, maze-like and geometric monkey. Initially I had its tail pointing down, but after drawing it the first couple of times, I began to notice how the tail could nicely wrap around the foot and how the arm could wrap around the head to make an even more efficient and visually pleasing maze-like shape. Despite its geometric nature, I knew that I definitely wanted it to have more rounded edges, as if it had been carved out of stone on a Mayan temple or something like that (I have to be honest, Temple Run inspired a lot of my thinking for this logo). This Mayan/ancient temple sort of look that the logo started to take on was also the reason for my choice of a golden color. I wanted to further toy with the idea of some sort of golden, beveled piece of treasure with the color as well as with some lines I tested out in my earlier sketches. Ultimately the beveled look didn’t quite work when I tried it out in Illustrator, so I just stuck with the flat design. I also tried to achieve the same look with a 3D effect, but I prefered the 2D design just because I thought it looked better with the little colored balls in the maze and because it made the logo more scalable overall. By leaving the logo as simple and 2D, it was also able to draw more attention to the shape itself, thereby making it easier for imaginary consumers to “get” the logo.
Upon finishing the design, however, I wished it had been at a higher level of difficulty, if only because I wished I could have used more of the advanced Illustrator techniques I learned in class. But overall I was pleased with the product, as I believe that the reasons for its simplicity were just. However, I did notice that when I was trying out the 3D and beveled effects that it helped to cover up a bit of a worry I had when I first finished the logo, that it looked a tad like a swastika. I suppose that is a danger with any geometric, four-pronged shape, but with this one I felt it especially came through. I would have applied a 3D effect in an effort to get away from the swastika imagery, but other than that I felt that the 3D effect didn’t add anything to the design. By adding the little balls, however, I feel like the swastika effect did go away.
In terms of more general reflections, my time management could have been a lot better, but I was a bit distracted during the week due to the bad news I received on Monday. I wrote the mission statement and designed the style sheet in around 10 minutes, and I think I also forgot to put the actual dimensions of my logos (I put in placeholders), but overall I was pleased with the quick-and-dirty job I was able to do for that part of the assignment. If I had to do this project again, I might try to make another company, just to avoid any possible swastika-ness, and I would definitely keep a better schedule for the project as a whole so that I would be able to play around more with a higher level of difficulty in my logo design. Overall though, I am pleased with how my project turned out.