I hate taking pictures of myself, so this started off rough. However, after some time with the pen tool and figuring out which colors were supposed to go where to give the correct appearance, I think this turned out fairly well. I did make the mistake of not including my torso in the tracing, so my floating head is all I have here. The pen tool has long been something I dread using, but I’m starting to warm up to it a little bit – mostly because I’m not completely terrible at it anymore. I’m hoping with some more practice, I’ll be able to do a lot more creative and new things with these programs, especially with the pen tool.
I particularly enjoyed this project because it forced me to change my perspective on the way I look at objects. For the Fairey inspired project, it was essential to look at our faces, not as individual objects as we know them, but separate shapes that indicate a specific color assignment. I also liked this project because it was a great way to advance my Pen tool skills and allowed me to experiment with colors. While at first, I was stumped by finding the individual shades and assigning them each color, it was such a satisfying once it all came together in a cohesive unit.
My imitation of Shephard Fairey’s famous “Hope” poster sits to the left. As our first exercise in Graphic Design 2, this illustration was good practice with the pen tool in Illustrator, as well as good practice planning a process and executing it.
I have always been a fan of the Obama “Hope” poster, so I was excited to make one myself. When I took my picture on PhotoBooth, I was unaware that my long, layered hair would be the hardest part to draw. Using the pen tool to draw shapes, instead of how I perceived my face looked, was really challenging. It’s easy to get stuck tracing features I knew needed to be there–a nose, an eye, lips, etc. It was harder to see shapes independently and trace those shapes exclusive from each other. Once I conquered this mind game, I was able to zoom in and really get going with the pen tool. Color-wise, I chose a color palette including cool blues and greens. It was important to choose a color scheme with enough contrast between colors, so that the face shading would look realistic.
I am happy with my finished product, although I think I could have added a little more detail on the hair and shirt. It was hard to accurately layer shapes on the hair, so I shortcut some intricacies. If I could go back, I would clean this up and add more detail to the shirt.