Ivy Bridges’ Conceptual Magazine Design

Click here to check out my full magazine design!

For my conceptual magazine design, I chose the old technologies that won’t go away story. This story was the most interesting to me and I chose the headline “Retro Renewal” because I felt it reflected the contents of the article well, without being too wordy.

With my illustration I wanted to juxtapose the difference between the retro camera that has been resurfacing with new technology that’s on the market. This is why I decided to add the old and new cameras together. I placed them on the fold line of the page, that way when the reader is viewing the page they are able to see the new and old as separate entities, but can also choose to look at them as they converge with one another. This plays on the concept of old coming back, and merging or even replacing new tech.

To create my camera illustration, I completed a process of taking images in Photoshop, cutting them from  their background, then dividing them into two. I chose both Nikon cameras and made sure to cut distinctly where the letters met so that the two halves were still readable as Nikon, and played more with the convergence of two. Then I used image trace and 16 colors to add an illustrative quality to the pictures, so they look more like a drawing than photographs.

I also chose to add a polaroid picture to the design to further reflect the story. I felt the addition of the picture added more to the nostalgic feel and also served as a great place to add the deck of the story as well as the byline. I wanted to place the author’s name in the spot where in the past people would write or sign polaroids.

For my display type I had to create, I used the pen tool to create a series of lines and shapes that formed letters. I based my typeface off fours. Four shapes/lines created each design in a one point line. For letters with a single bar, I chose to amplify the thickness to two points. This created a more exaggerated look. I then used the green from the camera with the eyedropper tool to create green lines in the R’s. For my other display type, I chose to use American Typewriter as I thought it tied everything together with its retro feel, reminiscent of the camera I used in the illustration. For my publication, I went with Orator as this is the font I used in my logo design. For my body text I went with Georgia because it’s a classic serif font. I also chose to use wide open tracking for the body text. I felt the spaced out look worked well with the style of the story and layout.

To further unite my design and add more interest, I created lines with multi-sized dots, to play more off the technology aspect of the story. To add color to my design, I took the green from the letters and added this to the side circles.

If I could do anything differently, I would make the “Nik” and the “On” line up better with one another. However I had to sacrifice this to make the lens and the size of the body of the camera to line up together. I also think playing with the texture in the back could be interesting. I started to do this but I felt there was too much going on after adding in a background. I tried to add some color in, but I feel more could be added to make the design pop more. Finally, I wish I had been more successful with creating my own display type. I like the way it ended up looking and its retro quality, however I feel I could have challenged myself more and created something with the brush tool, rather than creating a series of shapes with the pen tool.

Comments are closed.